Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 10 - Blenheim Palace

My time is quickly winding down here.  I knew it would be this way...I'd look forward to it for months, the last two weeks before leaving home would fly by, and the time here would race away at warp speed.  Baby G has changed so much since I arrived - he's vocalizing, smiling, looking at you when you talk to him.  He loves to be held and his big brothers love to hold him.  I treasure the time I have been able to spend with him and his family.  If you're a Facebook friend, you may have seen the video I posted there (I couldn't get it to load here). Baby G IS a joy.

Girlfriend spent some time at Blenheim Palace when she was here 6 weeks ago.  Flyboy and I had enjoyed our trip there during last year's visit.  Girlfriend saw things we didn't even know were there, and when the weather turned out to be beautiful AGAIN today, I asked Mr. Incredible if he might be willing to drop me off for another visit.  He took the big boys for a hike and to see outdoor things that interested them while I went back to the palace.

Blenheim Palace is well-known for being the birthplace of Winston Churchill, but it has a rich history dating back much farther.  The grounds and the money to build the palace were a gift to John Churchill for having led the allied forces to a victory at the Battle of Blenheim and the surrender of the French during the Wars of the Spanish Succession in 1704. The Spencer-Churchill family has stewarded the palace ever since.  It is currently occupied (in private quarters) by the 11th Duke of Marlborough.

Blenheim Palace
Photo courtesy of www.blenheimpalace.com


Sitting on 2000 stunning acres, this is an amazing site and as I was sipping tea and eating a Banbury bun overlooking the water terrace, I was filled with awe and wonder.  Brilliant!

Here are some photos I snapped today.
















No comments:

Post a Comment