Sunday, January 11, 2009

Aaah, the classics

Some of our dearest friends have a very dear daughter who has grown up to be a lovely young lady and is now a librarian. I follow L's blog and had to chuckle at her New Year's resolution to read this year. This from the girl who read over 100 books last year.

I like to read, too. But I have absolutely no self-control or sense of time when it comes to a good book. Meal prep goes by the wayside, sleep cannot be found, and nothing stands in the way between me and the final page. That being said, I've had to cut back on the books until I can muster a little more self-discipline.

Over the holidays, Heather and I got our hands on a series of books from our church library (there are 7 in all) and both read them all. They're by Dee Henderson and chronicle the O'Malley "family", a group of seven unrelated siblings who grow up together in an orphanage, claim each other, each change their last name to O'Malley, become professionals, and are there for each other to the end. The books are fairly well written, but become predictable after the first few. While we enjoyed reading them, there was a drive to finish whatever book you happen to be on as soon as you picked it up. As I look back on the O'Malley clan, I have to think hard to remember who fell for whom, who solved what crime, and how it all came together. It's kind of a blur.

In the meantime, Heather ran into a copy of Jane Eyre at Barnes and Noble and decided to reread it. She enjoyed it so much the first time (the first reread, that is), that she turned around and read it again. I am rather embarrassed to admit that my literary resume is rather lacking in the fact that I have not read Jane Eyre. When Heather finished it (again), she brought it upstairs and said, "you're going to love it."

I have decided there is definitely a difference between a classic and a pop culture novel. Since starting Jane Eyre I find myself not yearning for the end (which is a good thing, since the book is over 500 pages long) but thoroughly enjoying every page, wanting to stay in the moment just a little longer before moving on. Bronte's 19th century use of the language coupled with her uncanny ability to paint a picture in your mind make for a winsome combination.

I'm savoring it. Jane arrived at Thornfield and has just met her new charge Adela.

Heather says that Bronte didn't do much writing other than Jane Eyre. Definitely our loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment