Sunday, March 25, 2012

Day 2: Rugby and St. Ebbs

Daytime Savings Time began here in England today, so I got to lose an hour TWICE this year, on top of the five I left in the USA yesterday.  I slept like a log last night and woke up today ready to roll.

Today started with Rugby practice (or *training* as they call it here).  Jack-Jack is in a tag rugby league, which like touch football, is non-contact.  Except for all the little boys who, while waiting for their turn during drills were wrestling one another to the ground.   

 Hydrating.


Getting equipped with tags. 

Dash watching brother train.


Playing catch with Dad.


"Puppies in a box."  This is what my boss calls middle school boys, but it is particularly true of 6 year old boys. 


Clowning around.

Later in the day we (Mr. Incredible, Dash and I) went to church in Oxford.  If Flyboy and I could find jobs in Oxford, I could totally live there.  I think it is an amazing city full of history, education and beauty.  St. Ebbes Church was vibrant and alive and...packed. There are three Sunday services and we happened to attend the one weekend service where five students and one young adult were confirmed.  We heard a sermon by the Bishop of Oxford that was inspiring and introduced me to a whole new side of the Church of England.  Mr. Incredible explained that the Church of England is a very broad organization with many different arms that go in many different directions.  I was certainly blessed.  I liked this C.S. Lewis quote: 
 I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.





And now, on to the star of the show.  I have referred to my daughter and her family in this blog (and my previous one) for years as "The Incredibles".  There are amazing likenesses between each family member and their caricatures.  But now that miracle baby boy has shown up on the scene, I find myself in a prickly situation.  The only other family member in the movie is a girl (Violet) and while Elasti-girl says it's okay to call our boy Violet (because he may well feel invisible with two older brothers), it just doesn't feel quite right.  So what to do?  Ideas?  For the meantime, I will refer to him as Baby G.

And here he is!  Having been on the go today I was not able to get any shots of him. However, a friend of Elasti-girl's shot these last week.  Enjoy! 










 

1 comment:

  1. Amazing pictures!!! I am "pea green with envy". Can't wait to hear all the stories when you get home. Hugs, Elsie

    ReplyDelete