Friday, November 25, 2011

A Devoted Heart

I am inspired by the devotion of the prophet Daniel.  Though pressed into the service of the Babylonian king who did not know or follow God, Daniel demonstrated what it means to love God with one's whole heart and live in the world while not succumbing to the ways of the world.  Daniel was committed to living out his devotion to God no matter who decreed the only acceptable prayers were those offered to the King.  When Daniel got wind of this newly signed decree, he went straight away to his room, opened the windows and prayed toward Jerusalem three times a day, just as he had done before.

I admire this about Daniel.  He chose to be devoted to God no matter what the cost.  To me, this is what a fully devoted heart looks like.

I think that sometimes we evangelicals try so hard to not look like legalists that we forget the power of disciplined devotion.  Daniel could have rationalized that God, knowing the heart of all men, would be fine with mid-day prayers being conducted from the bedside instead of the window.  The words would have been the same - what is the difference where they are prayed?  No, Daniel chose out-loud devotion above personal safety and refused to compromise that devotion for any reason.  I, on the other hand, find it all too easy to choose personal comfort over wholehearted devotion while absolving my cowardice to any lame excuse.

I want Daniel's committed devotion.  I want to fearlessly be the right person at the right time, demonstrating my wholehearted love in a way that brings a smile to my Savior's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment