Saturday, November 26, 2011

Soul Sleep

(This post is part of a series.  To start at the beginning, click HERE, and then scroll up the page, reading chronologically.  When you get to the top of the page, go all the way back to the bottom to click on "newer posts".  Start reading at the bottom of the page, again, working your way up.  Confused yet?  Me, too.)


Mark 12:30
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.


If the heart is the place where we feel the deepest feelings and treasure the deepest thoughts and live out the deepest love, then the soul is the eternal, live-giving part of us that connects us to the life-giver.  Even deeper within than the heart, the soul is the actual connection point between the here-and-now and the forever.  Everlasting life has already begun, and we are on a journey to join that eternal part of us (which now resides in a temporary body) with the Creator for the consummation of all He has promised to those who love Him.


I wish I could say the journey is always energizing and I'm always propelled in the right direction.  Some days, though, I can't even get out of bed. I know it's time to get up.  I know what I need to do, but it's as if my soul is still asleep and can't wake up and the connection between the eternal part of me and the Eternal One is cutting in and out because I keep hitting the snooze button.  As with the disciples in the garden who were about to face untold upheaval, Jesus calls out to me to wake up and pray. He said to them, "Why are you sleeping?  Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation."  (Luke 22:46)

Wake up, oh my sleeping soul, wake up.



No comments:

Post a Comment