Saturday, November 12, 2011

Heart Check


“Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.”  Proverbs 4:23 NLT

heart [hahrt] (dictionary.com)
  • the center of the total personality, especially with reference to intuition, feeling, or emotion: In your heart you know I'm an honest man.
  • the center of emotion, especially as contrasted to the head as the center of the intellect: His head told him not to fall in love, but his heart had the final say.
  • capacity for sympathy; feeling; affection: His heart moved him to help the needy.  

The God who created us knows us through and through. He knows that most of the time our heart  dictates the path we take.  Thus the admonition to guard our hearts...if my heart determines the course of my life, I better take extra care to keep my heart in check.  And what is the best way to do that?  By making sure my heart (the center of who I am) is focused first on what is most important: loving God with all I am.

But experience shows me that my heart cannot always be trusted. Sometimes I think I know what I'm about when I realize I've gotten off the track.  Forgetting to guard my heart, I get sucked in to whatever feels right at the time.  Then it's time to take a step back, remember what I'm called to do, and turn my heart back towards Jesus. 

So how do I know if my heart is in the right place?  By conducting a little check-up...by asking a simple question: is it my deepest desire to love God with all my heart? 

No comments:

Post a Comment