Saturday, January 12, 2008

They Say It All

See the addition of the quotes on the sidebar. These are some of the things that are grabbing me from "Irresistable Revolution", and just by reading these quotes, one can begin to understand the flavor of the book. Which is, we, who call ourselves Christians yet ignore the poverty around us, should stop to ask ourselves what it really means to be a Christian.

There is more than one kind of poverty. Here in our metropolis, in the heart of the midwest in January, homeless people are huddled together for warmth, surviving on whatever food they can find. In the suburbs, people like me are warm and (over)fed and many are spiritually impoverished, caring not for the needs of the hungry in their own city. This has described me for too long, and I am pondering what I, being only one person, can do to help.

Yesterday, over coffee, P. did not merely glaze over as I tried to articulate these thoughts. Rather, he validated them (which felt darn good) and encouraged me to try to find a way to make a difference. I have somehow thought that P. & I had to share every passion. I'm not sure that was ever true, but having his support in something even though he does not share the same depth of feeling makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment