Wednesday, March 23, 2011

England! Day Two


 Pinch me.  I simply can't believe we are in England.

We slept HARD last night and got up this morning later than usual.  Once we were finally awake and functioning, we headed to the Park 'n Ride and took a double decker bus to Oxford! With the boys at school for the day, we were free to explore.

Before we get to the photos, a couple of observations:  I think that seeing structures that were built in the 1600s is just about the coolest thing ever.  And I think it is my English blood that makes me feel such an affinity for the countryside, the architecture, and everything we've seen even in two short days.  We took a tour on another double decker bus, and on this one, the top was open to the most beautiful day seen in England for a long time (thank you, God!). 

Sorry, Girlfriend...I looked for Dr. Who here but didn't find him.
















We lunched at the Eagle and Child, where the Inklings (whose membership included the likes of CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien) gathered to discuss deep thoughts. 

 This is for you, Elsie - at the very first opportunity, I had pork pie!  
And you'll note I chose salad and an apple over chips!




Next stop, the Ashmolean, an amazing museum at which, had we not been wearing out, we could have spent an entire day.





 The day was rounded out with a water gun fight and an epic tickling match.









Tomorrow, London...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment