Tuesday, March 29, 2011

England! Day 7

No photos today...the ones I took yesterday from Warwick will have to wait.  I'm recuperating from a whopper of a migraine and today has been a quiet day.  This afternoon I've finally been able to keep some Excedrin down and am finally starting to feel better.  Flyboy is out on a walk-about and as I look out the window, I see that he may have gotten sprinkled on for the first time since we've been in England.  The weather has been phenomenal, and everyone we meet says this is NOT typical England weather and that they figure they're in for it sooner rather than later.  As we understand it, we've missed out on some horrid weather at home, including spring snow, so we're even more thankful for the 65 degree sunny days we've enjoyed here.

Interestingly, the Incredibles live on what used to be an RAF base, and more recently, a USAF base.  This explains why their housing is bigger than standard English housing, which is very nice for them.  They had company for over 100 nights last year, so having an extra room has been a blessing.

I thought I'd share today some of the things I've learned since we've been here, particularly in the area of vocabulary.  We've really enjoyed picking up some of the local lingo and understanding what people are saying.  Let's see...a quiz or a glossary?  What would be more fun?  I think we'll have a quiz, and I'll put the answers below.  Some may seem obvious, but don't be fooled!  And Elsie (my dear English friend), you definitely have an unfair advantage, so for that reason alone (though I can think of others), there are no prizes being offered for the most right answers.

Here we go!

1.  Cot
2.  Mind the gap
3.  Give way
4.  Diary
5.  Stay for tea?
6.  Sleeping policeman
7.  Take-away
8.  Bin
9.  White coffee
10. Trolley
11. Polite notice
12. Push chair
13. Ice lolly
14. Jumper
15. Queue
16. Pudding
17. Post
18. Crisps
19. Nappy
20. Dummy

Before we get to the answers, I had to stop and enjoy a fresh scone, hot from the oven with jam and clotted cream.  Elsie, exactly what is clotted cream?  It seems to be whipping cream that is somehow spreadable.  I don't know if it is partially whipped, or whipped with the air pressed out?  Whatever it is, it is YUMMY, and Elasti-girl makes the best scones.  (And yes, Elsie, I will again be faithful to Weight Watchers upon my return.)

Okay!  After that culinary interlude, let's move ahead.

1.  Cot = baby crib
2.  Mind the gap = Watch your step (as over the gap between the train and the landing)
3.  Give way = yield (the yield sign looks the same here, but it says "Give Way" instead)
4.  Diary = pocket calendar or PDA ("let me check my diary...")
5.  Stay for tea? = Stay for supper? (that one really threw me)
6.  Sleeping policeman = speed bump (get it?)
7.  Take away  = to-go food ("will that be dine-in or take-away?)
8.  Bin = here's a clue:  you put rubbish in it
9.  White coffee = coffee with cream (tea can be white, too)
10. Trolley = grocery cart (or really anything for hauling stuff that has wheels)
11. Polite notice = public notice (we saw several "polite notices" in London near construction sights)
12. Push chair = baby stroller
13. Ice lolly = popcicle
14. Jumper = sweater
15. Queue = line (as in, I always pick the longest queue at the market)
16. Pudding = dessert (any kind - not just pudding)
17. Post = mail
18. Crisps = potato chips
19. Nappy = diaper
20. Dummy = baby pacifier

And one more thing, under NO circumstances EVER, EVER call a fanny pack by its American name.  Call it a "bum bag".  Because this is a family site, I cannot explain why...you'll just have to take my word for it.

1 comment:

  1. GiGI...this was great fun and have to say brought back fond memories of when I first came to the USA and called everything by it's English name.....looking forward to seeing your Warwick photos!! So sorry you had a migraine....I so hope it is long gone by the time you read this. As for clotted cream....I have no idea how or what it is made from, all I know is it is sooooooo yumy!!! Missing you...Elsie

    ReplyDelete