Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Of all the things I have had the privilege to enjoy in this life - from living in a free country to having everything I ever needed - all of these pale in light of one of the greater gifts I have been blessed to receive: the undying love and devotion of my mother, who celebrates her 78th birthday today. Mom, this one's for you.

My mother has always been there for me. Having been raised in the 60's/70's when most moms were at home, this was our experience, and our mom was the consumate June Cleaver. Having been a home-ec major in college, and being one of the hardest working people I've ever known, she did it all. She cooked, cleaned, sewed, chauffered, nursed our wounds and our hurt feelings, and more. She didn't baby us or talk down to us, but treated us with respect.

I look back and have several fond memories...coming home from school to find a snack and a glass of milk on a placemat on the dining room table...I remember my mom ALWAYS being home when we got home from school. In fact, so memorable were the times she wasn't there I can count them on a couple of fingers...my mom devoting the first half hour of Dad's homecoming after work to him alone, hearing about his day...after our first move to California, Mom hemmed every skirt from the middle of my kneecap (midwest conservatism) to about 4" above (west coast progressiveness)...we were not babied, but encouraged to be independent and make our own fun.

Even now, I know my mom believes in me, supports me in every way, and is one person I can always count on.

I love you, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment