Saturday, January 29, 2011

Chicken Surprise Pizza

I called this Chicken Surprise Pizza because it includes a little known (if ever) pizza ingredient: red grapes. I felt I had license to change the name because I changed the ingredients more than a little to accommodate what I had in the house. We had surprise pizza all the time when we were in seminary - the kids loved pizza and I'd make the dough from scratch and throw on whatever I had in the frig, topping it with the cheap cheese we'd get from the co-op I belonged to.

On to the recipe!

First you need a pizza crust. I make mine in the bread machine using this recipe:

Put the following ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer: 1 1/4 C warm water (110 degrees), 3 C bread flour, 1 t sugar, 1 t salt, 2 t olive oil, 2 t yeast. Select the dough cycle, removing the dough after it has risen and pressing it onto a pizza stone or pan.  If you like lots of thick, chewy dough, use the whole ball.  On the other hand if you prefer thin crust, divide it in half and make two pizzas, doubling the ingredients below.

Then, spread 1/2 C red sauce of choice on the crust (I used Prego). Top with: 1/2 lb bulk chicken or turkey sausage browned, 1 1/2 C seedless red grapes, halved (surprise!), 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced, 3 T grated Romano cheese (buy the solid chunk and grate it yourself - it's worth it), 1/4 t black pepper and 1/4 C sliced green onions.

Bake at 425 for 15-20 min. or until crust is browned and cheese is melted.


Photo courtesy of myrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment