Saturday, January 29, 2011

Chicken Thighs with Braised Vegetables

Note:  Do all the chopping first.  It will make it easier when you get to cooking.

Dredge 8 chicken thighs in about 1/4 C flour and brown in a large skillet with 1 T oil heated to almost smoking.  Saute about five minutes, turning once.  Remove from pan and keep warm.  Heat 2 t oil in the same pan.  Add 2 C chopped onion, 2 C rutabaga (peeled and cubed), 2 C turnips (peeled and cubed), 2 C butternut squash (peeled and cubed), 1 C parsnips (peeled and cubed), 1 T minced garlic and saute about five minutes.  Stir in 1/2 C chicken broth, 1/4 t thyme, 1/4 t sage, 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t pepper and 1 bay leaf.  Return the chicken to the pan, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is done.

Photo courtesy of myrecipes.com

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try this Carol. I've been looking for a recipe where I can use up some frozen rutabaga that I have left from another recipe that called for the veggie. I don't eat ruabaga (not because I don't like it..just because it's not something I grew up on or was ever temped to try) I don't like for anything to be wasted so I'm anxious to use this very different and interesting vegie on this recipe of yours. I'll let you know how the family responds. ;D Sherry A

    ReplyDelete